Saturday, March 22, 2008

Time to change

Do you remeber Internet Time? It was intended to eliminate the hassle of time zones, as real time interactions across time zones started to raise dramatically. No matter where you are, or what time scheme is in place, everyone shares the same exact time. Under Internet Time, the day was divided into 1000 units (beats), starting at midnight European Central Time. It came out right after the internet boom, and it seemed like an awesome idea (at least to me) -if you've ever tried to coordinate an activity with someone in a different part of the world, you've surely gone through something like this:

A: OK, how does tomorrow at 10 AM work for you?
B: 10 AM your time or my time?
A: My time
B: You are US Pacific, right?
A: Yes.
B: OK, you're 8 hrs behind me so that's 18:00 my time
A: Is that military time? I'm not sure...
B: Right, sorry -that's 6pm.
A: Are you sure, we're on daylight savings time here
B: All right, why don't we set up the meeting on Outlook, that should adjust the time automatically for everybody's time zone.
A: Well, they changed the daylight saving time this year, and IT says there have been problems with the exchange update patch...

How about this, instead:

A: OK, how does tomorrow at @750 work for you?
B: Can we make it @815?
A: Sure, that works.

I don't know about you, but I know which conversation I like better.

I think the reason Internet Time never took off, is that people are resistant to change and easily confused, but we don't have to give up regular time, we can display both times side-by-side. How hard would it be to add a little bit of code to time servers and operating systems and save millions of headaches every week?

Internet movers and shakers, how about some moving and shaking here?

No comments: